Thursday, January 13, 2011

Activity-1 1-12-11Scientific Method

Talk about process regarding car that does not start, what do you do?

If my car will not start in cold weather I would call and ask my dad for help.  If he was available I would have him try and fix the car.  Some times it works to lightly push on the gas pedel to get some gasoline moving around in the car.  I would push on the gas while the car is safely in park.  I would try to start the car again and hope for the best.  If the car starts, I would let it idle for at least 10 minutes while the defrost was on. I would also clear any ice or snow that was on the vehicle.
What is the Scientific Method, explain the process and steps? 
The Scientific Method is a set of rules used to guide science, based on the idea that scientific "laws" be continuously tested, and replaced if found inadequate.  Scientific method refers to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge.
  • Ask a Question
  • Do Background Research
  • Construct a Hypothesis
  • Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment
  • Analyze Your Data and Draw a Conclusion
  • Communicate Your Results
  • State the Problem: What do you want to find out? Look at your problem and express it as a question. Be sure to make the problem as specific as possible.
  • Hypothesize: What do you think is the cause of your problem? Develop a logical answer to your problem; this will become your hypothesis. Your answer should include one explanation for the cause to your problem.
  • Plan Your Experiment: The goal of any experiment is to test a hypothesis. Determine your variable and control; then write a clear step-by-step procedure so that anyone can repeat the process of the experiment.
  • Make a Prediction: Using your hypothesis, make and record a prediction about the outcome of your experiment.
  • Gather and Organize Data: Determine what kinds of data you will collect. Will it be measurements, observations, or estimates? Will you use tables, graphs, or drawings to organize this data?
  • Analyze Data: Once you have collected your data, determine if you see any trends or patterns. Does the data support your hypothesis? Do you still need to collect additional information.
  • Conclude: Use your data to state your conclusion. Your data should either support your conclusion or lead you to another hypothesis. Have any new questions or problems developed?
 http://www.brighthub.com/education/k-12/articles/23011.aspx#ixzz1Aps4MYhv
Relate the scientific process to the experiment that you performed on surfaces and liquids.
For the experiment using different liquids on different surfaces I used the scientific process.  I asked a question, how will this liquid react on this surface? What if I add oil to the surface what will happen to the liquids now? I didnt do very much research for this experiment. I constructed a hypothesis about what I thought was going to happen.  I tested my hypothesis by doing the experiment.  I then analyzed my data and drew a conclusion.  I did ten different experienments and different hypothesis' and results for each one.  I communicated my result by writing about the experiment in my blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment