Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Activity 2 1-12-11

Would you give DHMO to your mother?
No. I dont know enought about DHMO to give it to anyone. 

Do you think the government should research (spend money) to better understand health affects of DHMO?
I think the government should spend money to research DHMO because it is found in our river, ocean, lakes, and streams.  I think more research needs to be done in order to better understand DHMO. 

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Method- I would not give DHMO to my mother because I know nothing about it.  5 minutes was not long enough to do the research to find out if DHMO is good to use.  I know I would not give something that affects my mothers health without doing proper research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydrogen_monoxide_hoax
The dihydrogen monoxide hoax is a deception that involves the use of an unfamiliar name for water ("dihydrogen monoxide"), then, by listing some negative effects of this chemical, attempts to convince people that it should be carefully regulated, labeled as hazardous, or banned. The hoax is designed to illustrate how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.[1] "Dihydrogen monoxide", shortened to "DHMO", is a name for water that is consistent with basic rules of chemical nomenclature,[2] but is not among the names published by IUPAC[3] and is almost never used.

No comments:

Post a Comment